Thursday, January 05, 2012

midnight's children

I learned how to play an instrument
Badly
and I would sit in the fields
next to the railway tracks
and the buttercup flowers
Or follow the two pretty sisters
with long hair
who had just
arrived from England.
Who were in love
with a Tommy.
Who'd wear tights under
their shorts
so as not to upset their mother.
All the while,
I was a politician's whore.
A befitting career
for someone who liked discounts
benefits
extravagance.
Once at a night time pool party
I was drawn to a different man
in my American flag bikini.
Later I cried as he undressed me.
And later still,
I answered all the questions
and collected all the money
in my grey/black pencil skirt.
The other man,
(I remembered, as I signed the papers)
(and smiled for the cameras)
had thrown his cigarette butt
onto a stranger's balcony.
This memory came to mind
when I ran into a carpeted room
full of spilled yellow rice
and started passionately playing
my badly learned instrument.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://hamburglr.tumblr.com/post/8717276078/first-go-grab-some-headphones-the-best-ones
Read that to this.
Y U NO HU

Zh. said...

haha
i LOVE Pogo dude!

Zh. said...

also, i've noticed that people like stuff that i write when i'm in a nonchalant mood. a post that i've written with a lot of heart and soul, and is something that i actually like, doesn't get the attention i want it to get.

just an observation.

Anonymous said...

Y U WANT ATTENTION
K do as you like *shrug*

Zh. said...

IT MAKES ME FEEL GOOD, etc.

nuclearbattery said...

I think, there is a strange beauty (and truth) to words that are not chosen carefully. I often notice the same thing.

Moonie said...

i love this.